Every holiday should be an excuse for you to add a twist into your drawings. There are many things you can get inspired from, and a holiday-themed drawing can certainly give your blog or your Facebook page an up-to-date look. Here are the steps on drawing a Halloween-themed anime girl.
1. When drawing, always have at least an idea in your head. For my drawing, I new I wanted it to have “Halloween” written all over it, so that gave me the idea of drawing a girl in a witch’s room.
So first, I sketched the main character.
2.Something I am noticing more and more is that the early you place the arms, the more visual control you will have over the body language of the character. Right away, after sketching her arms, I knew the character could be either excited or scared and this idea opened several doors of possibilities.
3. Every artist has their way of doing things. I like to draw with the flow. So, if nothing about the character seems difficult to draw, I keep sketching. So, I added the skirt and defined the character’s shoes a bit more. Whenever I do come across something difficult, then I leave it for last. I had rather stress over drawing the difficult parts when most of the drawing is complete, than stressing over, say the hands, when I know I still have much more to draw.
4. The hair is one of the most attractive things in an anime girl, and I took a different approach to draw it. Over all, I have always liked wavy, well-mannered hair because mine is everything but well-mannered. ^o^
5. I never really pay attention to perspectives or angles until I am actually at that point in the drawing when I have to decide from what angle I am drawing. This is a bit risky, but that’s what makes drawing fun to me. ^o^
With a ruler, you can easily draw the elements in the drawing. Just angle the ruler the same way the main character is angled in your drawing and keep that angle as a reference throughout the entire sketch.
So, in this case, my drawing was turning out to be as a tilted photographed and I loved that!
6. As you add the details, keep in mind that every element in the sketch should follow the same angle. So you can either tilt the page as you draw or you can keep using the ruler.
To come up with ideas of what details to use, I strongly suggest the use of reference as an inspiration, but do not copy what you see. In the end, you want your drawings to be original.
7. Something that many forget when drawing, is the floor. It’s actually rare for you to see on facebook or instagrams drawings where the artist includes the floor. If you think that adding a unique floor will add visual enjoyment to your drawing, then go for it! That’s an artist call. To me, is easy to decide. I trust my instincts. When I draw, I let my hand guide me. I try not to waste time erasing stuff. If I start to draw, say a window, then I am stubborn enough to sketch it until I feel it looks perfect to my eyes. In this case, I wanted to give the witch’s room a more haunting edge, so I sketched a floor made out of stones.
8. And then, add the remaining details before inking or coloring your drawing!!!! ^o^
I really love this part the most, though I, myself, am still practicing with inking techniques. Here is a look on the final drawing before I color it. I ordered my first set of Copic Markers and can’t wait to get them!…. Really….. I have ordered it like a month ago now…thought it would arrived on time for this post….. oh, well.
Feel free to read more tutorials around this website \(^o^)/
Yours, Naomi Husband.
-My actual last name is Husband.
-I am obsessed with Cheese ^o^
-Before drawing manga, I studied writing, photography and the art of forgiving.
- I could use some physical activity.
-Although I have always loved dogs, lately a stray furry friend is stealing my heart.